Your new motorcycle is fun, exciting, and your ticket to endless adventures. However, without taking the right safety precautions, you could find yourself in some less-than-pleasant situations. Incorporate these tips into your routine to ensure you stay safe while riding your motorcycle around the Williamsburg, VA area.
Buy the Right Gear
The right bike and accessories protect you from potential danger and encourage responsible bike behaviors.
- Opt for anti-lock brakes. Regardless of your skill level, anti-lock brakes are a smart investment. The sudden application of the brake robs the rider of steering control which contributes to accidents and skidding.
- Be realistic. Don’t buy a high-performance model if you’ve never ridden before. Start small and upgrade as you grow.
- Dress for the road. The clothing you choose can literally save your skin if you skid out. Specially designed jackets and pants that protect you without being too hot can be found at many motorcycle shops.
Don’t forget your helmet! Remember, Virginia state law mandates the use of a helmet on all motorcycle trips. Talk to the agents at Commonwealth Insurance Center for help choosing the right helmet.
Pay attention to these important details to avoid accidents.
- Check the weather. Avoid travel if you aren’t absolutely certain that you can safely navigate the roadways.
- Give yourself space. Car drivers sometimes struggle to see slimmer bikes. Don’t get to close to other cars in traffic, watch for mergers, and never drive on the line between lanes.
- Watch road conditions. Potholes and construction debris can send you head over heels and into an uncomfortable situation. Slow down on rough roads or navigate around them.
A good insurance policy is an important part of safe driving. Without proper coverage, you could find yourself in some sticky situations. Talk to the experts at Commonwealth Insurance Center for more information on motorcycle insurance in the Williamsburg, VA area.