What does flood insurance cover?

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides coverage for physical losses to your home or dwelling and your personal belongings. Our team at Commonwealth Insurance Center is happy to provide information and guidance for Williamsburg, VA residents. Our team will walk you through how flood insurance works as well as what’s covered. Although flood insurance isn’t always necessary if you live in a flood zone or high-risk area, flood insurance may be a good option.  

Is flood cover necessary?

If you live near a body of water or in a high-risk flooding zone, then the chances are you’ll need flood cover. But the catch is, being in an area that requires flood cover means you’ll have to pay a higher premium or could not be covered altogether.

What is Flood  Insurance?

Flood insurance is designed to cover your home, car, and personal possessions from damage caused by a rainwater runoff, overflow, or buildup of water that covers dry land under normal circumstances. It should be noted that this type of coverage isn’t always included in a homeowner’s policy. However, some policies may include flood insurance as an extra option. If not, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy.

What Does Flood Insurance Cover?

Flood insurance provides coverage for your home and your possessions as well as your car. Flood insurance has two categories that include building coverage and contents coverage. Typically, flood insurance covers:

  • Foundation/Walls
  • Anchorage systems
  • Staircases
  • Electrical/Plumbing systems
  • Furnaces/Water heaters
  • Refrigerators/Stoves 
  • Built-in appliances
  • Carpeting
  • Cabinets/Paneling/Bookcases
  • Window blinds

Flood insurance also covers detached garages, fuel, well-water tanks, pumps, and solar equipment. 

If you are considering investing in flood insurance, give us a call. We’d be happy to discuss your options with you. Our team at Commonwealth Insurance Center would be happy to answer your questions. We’re standing by.